Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Apple of My Eye

It's a toss-up between 'How Facebook changed the world' or write a new blog entry.

I'm experimenting with 'Daedalus', a new iPad app and so with luck, I will manage to get through the entry without my usual spelling mistakes. At times I find the iPad virtual keyboard does strange things, as readers will have noticed from time to time. However, I've found the Apple device has made such an important contribution to both work and personal tasks, I can't recommend it enough.

From a councillor's perspective its invaluable. Local government produces mountains of paper documents and correspondence and now I can carry what I need, with me, fully searchable and up to date with portfolio briefing documents and council papers going back months.

If you go into the big computer store retailers, then you may notice that they are almost desparate to off load this year's generation of laptops. Why? Because the industry is about to experience a convulsive technology change as the end of 2011 approaches and a new generation  of devices starts to appear. Already, we are seeing the impact of such generational change on cameras, with the convergence of GPS and wireless built-in. So, if you are holding on before buying a new PC, you are either going to get some very good deals in the Xmas sales or with a little extra wait, like that for the Apple iPhone 5.0, you will be in at the beginning of the next leap forward in terms of integrated features and processing power.

So, Daedulus appears to work without a hitch. Let's see if I can now upload the results to my blog!

PS.Anyone remember the Apple Newton, pictured. I have one and it still works!