Friday, 9 May 2008

Easy Tallinn in Estonia

I've been too busy to 'Blog' of late but at least I'm now home, after a very pleasant business trip to the lovely city of Tallinn, capital of Estonia.

It's a very easy trip to Tallinn. £43 each way with Easyjet out of Stansted airport and then, arriving at the other end, it took about thrity minutes, to work through immigration, find a taxi and arrive at the city's splendid Radisson SAS hotel.

I was chairing the PCI (Payment Card Industry) Europe conference and with two hundred delegates from banks and businesses across the Baltic states, there's a visible thirst for knowledge.

The old town of Tallinn is delightful, packed with bars and restaurants and massage parlours too, should such a thing take your fancy. I highly recommend 'Troika' the Russian restaurant in the main square. Expensive but great service and wonderful food helped along with ice cold local vodka and Russian beer.

English is spoken fluently. So well in fact that it puts the cast of BBC's 'East Enders' to shame!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if our own cities were as clean, polite and almost traffic free as Tallinn. Comes of having a small population I suppose. If you are thinking of a summer weekend break, it's an experience I highly recommend. I certainly plan to return one day!