Tuesday, 3 July 2007

On the Run

I really have to apologise for this weblog being so quiet after so many years; after all it was one of the early weblogs.

It's really because my local weblog http://www.thanetlife.com/ is absorbing what little time I have left to write these days.

Being a local politician, even a modest backbencher, chews time and if you think about it, an active councillor has to make personal sacrifices if he or she is to work for a ward properly. I have to get up an hour earlier each morning, just to catch-up with the mountain of paperwork that is delivered each Monday by 'Council Messenger'. Much of it isn't directly pertinent but you still have to sift through it all to find the material that concerns your ward.

Last week was a good example of the work, local politics balance. Thursday was my birthday but I had to be up early to fly a protest banner along the M25 for three hours for the Communications workers Union. After that, back to catch-up with email and telephone calls and then into the council offices to approve the annual budget, a meeting that lasted from 5pm to 11pm. No lunch, no dinner and no birthday!

I'm not complaining, if you want to try and make a difference for the better, then you have to step-up to the crease, rather than criticise from the sidelines. There's a great deal to learn and in between I have to make a living and try and finish my commercial pilots rating. Five exams down and four to go, the worst. Aerodynamics, engineering, weight & balance and navigation. Degree level maths and physics to study for in between the day job and the council business.

Just making a small difference for the better, where I live in Thanet, will make it all worthwhile!

Tour de France coming up this weekend and two aircraft trying to manage in and out of the temporarily restricted airspace that surrounds us here Kent. The new Cessna has a larger engine and long-range tanks that would take me down to Spain if required but it's good for the long-distance jobs to remote airfields with no fuel uplift, so expands the 'Airads' opportunity a little further.

That's the end of the update. Hopefully, I'll find a little time to start posting again soon.

No comments: