Tuesday, 17 January 2006

Mum's Army

GMTV blew-out again today, I rather thought they might but I suspect they’ll be back. It’s curious how seemingly disorganised these daytime shows are, driven as they are by a diet of current affairs stories. Richard & Judy are no better I discovered but ironically, along comes the Arabic TV channel, Al Jazeera instead.

My good friend Stephen Cole, who presented the BBC’s Click Online programme for many years, has now been lured along to join them and I had a call today about doing a feature on identity theft from start to finish, i.e. they want someone to show them how easy it is to steal someone’s identity and apparently Stephen has pointed a finger in my direction. Who did you have in mind I wonder?

If you are confused at this point about what I do other than flying an aircraft around taking photos of Thanet and writing this weblog, then it can be awkward to explain but if you look at the Govtec site, a job I’m doing in Bahrain next month, one part of the jigsaw at least will be revealed.

Meanwhile, I was struck today by a news report on the activities of a group, sponsored by ‘Take a Break’ magazine, the Mum’s Army party, with 54 candidates standing for election and According to its editor, John Dale, a register of over 10,000 supporters.

The platform on which Mum’s Army candidates will stand is tackling the antisocial behaviour that blights local communities, and one of “Mums” on BBC South East News tonight was rather more streetwise and useful than the waste of space, Lewes councillor, who insisted that he was really active in the community in fighting anti-social behaviour and had even dressed up as Father Christmas. The BBC reporter could barely hide an expression of contempt and I feel sorry for his council colleagues, who having seen his appalling and out-of-touch performance on camera, will feel that they have been tarred with the same brush.

Given that a police presence in the villages near where Ilive outside office hours appears to be more the exception than the rule, perhaps we need a mum’s army too. There’s a thought!

No comments: