Saturday, 5 June 2004

Poets Corner

It took me years to find a publisher for my own work and I was over thirty before I finally managed to turn out a book or have any poetry of my own published and I'm still very much in the shadow of my prolific grandfather, Edmond Greville, the celebrated French writer, actor and film director.

From out of the blue this afternoon however came a surprise letter from publishing house, Young Writers, with a creativity award for my nine year old daughter Charlotte. Apparently, from 67,000 children nationwide, she’s written a poem of distinction that is to be published in a Young Writers, ‘Once upon a Rhyme’ anthology.



Charlotte, a pupil of Chartfield School, wrote a poem I knew nothing about. Called ‘Noises in the Wild’, it’s this:

‘In the wild
Tigers are pouncing
Hyenas are laughing
Lions are roaring
Joeys are jumping
Cheetahs are dashing
And Zebras are running’


All said and done though, she also took the controls of the aircraft all the way to Rochester this afternoon, sitting on a cushion and with close supervision on my part. So I guess being nine isn’t what it used to be when your'e a poet and a pilot both!

No comments: